Thursday, March 17, 2011

Road Trip

Today the family and I went to Paducah to watch the Alice in Wonderland Follies at the Carson Center.  On the way back, I stopped by Roof Brothers to pick up some things I know I can't get here in downtown southern Illinois.  I, of course, tried to get some Dogfish Head Theobroma.  They didn't have any in stock.  They normally get six cases and a person will buy up four of them.  The other two get bought up quickly in general sales.  My quest to try this ancient recipe replica lingers on...  Maybe if I give them a heads up of when I'm passing through they might help the good Reverend out. 

I did, however, pickup some good beverages.  I picked up Dogfish Head's Namaste (Beer brewed with coriander, orange, and lemongrass) and Sah'tea (Ale brewed with Black Chai tea and juniper berries).  The Sah'tea really interested me as another chai tea inspired beer like my Marsala Nirvana (Chocolate Chai Cream Stout).  I also nabbed a bottle of Brewery Ommegang's Cup O' Kyndnes (Traditional Belgian-style Scotch ale - brewed with heather).  Ommegang doesn't have it referenced on their website so I had to pull information from other sources.  Now, I'm not totally ignorant of what day it is (I am half Irish) and so I picked up a four-pack of Murphy's Irish Stout.  I can hear my friends now, "What??  No Guinness??"  I had some Guinness at Hugh and Judy's St. Patrick's day party this past weekend. 

Another interesting bit of beer gossip...  Some of us are aware that Dogfish Head is currently not in our area.  When I asked the local stores about Dogfish Head, they tell me that it's being worked on but not to expect it any time this calendar year.  According to the gentleman at Roof Brothers, Dogfish Head has pulled out of Indiana and Ohio.  With this disturbing news I'm beginning to wonder if we will see the Extreme Brewery's beer back in Illinois.  I can hope and pray but I will not hold my breath.  Thankfully Kentucky still has them for the time being.  With some really good programs at the Carson Center coming up, I have opportunities to pinch some Dogfish Head while I can. 

  Blessed be the brew!!
      -Rev. Bobby Beerman

P.S.  I'll provide an update on the latest batches from the Monks.  It's getting late and I need to wake up at 4am.  Ugh!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't take it personally but if I think a comment is inappropriate then I'm deleting it.